Here you can try our amusing augmented reality game called «Build your own сity!» on your PC.
The project has been developed specifically for the fixed installation at the museum and exhibition center of Kogalym in Western Siberia. It is now installed in one of the pavilions of the museum, the Experimentarium.
The project uses 17 «living 3D markers» and a set of urban landscapes for developing a virtual site.
Several additional functions, such as «eraser», as well as model cloning, and variety of 3D facilities on the markers, help create unique urban landscapes and make the game even more entertaining!
Instructions: installation and start up
1. Download our special software to launch «Build your own city!» augmented reality application. Run the program on your PC (double-click .exe file) to view «living 3D markers». Download (37 МB).
2. Download the image file with the markers, print them out on any printer and cut each marker along its contour (pdf file).
3. Download and print out any of the six landscapes available and lay it on the table in front of you (landscapes archive).
4. Ensure a webcam is connected to your PC. Now aim it at the printed landscape. Turn the sound on.
5. Bring any marker to the camera so that it is fully captured. You'll see one of the 17 urban development items available. Lay the marker on the landscape. You’ve just started developing your own city!
Video: how to play
Aim of the game
There are 17 «living 3D markers» and six landscape options available.
Your aim is to position the markers on the selected landscape so that you see a piece of an urban structure or a well platform of an oil producing company.
How to start
Put the printed landscape on the table, lock it. To activate the application, put any marker on the landscape so that it is captured by the camera.
How to position your 3D model
Your 3D model will appear on the screen. Move the marker on the landscape to position it properly. You can place the model wherever you want!
Hold the marker in one place for two seconds to attach the model to the landscape. The model will stick to the landscape and you will hear the sound.
How to duplicate the models
All models can be duplicated on the urban landscape. For example, you can place several car models on the landscape to imitate a «traffic jam». For this, please follow the below instructions:
take one «living 3D marker» with an image of a vehicle, e.g. a truck, and place it on the landscape;
move your 3D model to the selected place and hold it still for 2 seconds;
hide the marker with your hand for 2 seconds and open it again, or remove it from the camera’s field of view and then bring it back again;
another 3D model of the truck will appear, and this can be positioned on the landscape too.
Any items can be duplicated: trees, buildings, people, etc.
Erasing models from the landscape
If you think you positioned a 3D model wrongly, you can «clear» the landscape in part or in full with our «eraser» marker.
To erase a model, place the «eraser» marker within the camera’s field of view, and bring the green sphere to the item you wish to erase.
Once the selected item comes into contact with the «eraser» you will hear a special sound, and in a second the item will be «dissolved», and will disappear.
Now you can take the marker with the required item again and position it properly.
If you experience problems installing or viewing our 2living 3D markers» on your PC please kindly send us an email with a brief description of the problem at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will help you for sure!