Here you can download an innovative «living 3D marker» augmented reality project Russian Satellite Communication Company and test it on your own PC.
This project has been created for the exposition stand of the Russian Satellite Communication Company at the major functional exhibition Svyaz-Expocomm-2011 (May 2011).
In this interactive application you’ll see two controlled 3D models of the Russian Satellite Communication Company satellite constellation:
- a detailed 3D model of the full constellation of active satellites (11 satellites in total) with the option of in-depth exploration of each satellite and its signal coverage area;
- a detailed 3D model of the full constellation of upcoming satellites (7 satellites in total) with similar options.
Each of two main markers is an interactive 3D model of a satellite constellation. By controlling this model the user can get additional information on each of the active and future satellites; explore them in full detail from every perspective and find information on their signal coverage area on Earth.
Instructions for viewing the 3D application on your PC
1. Download the special software for demonstration of the technology. Launch the program on your PC to view «living 3D markers».
Download the program (33 MB).
2. Download the file with the image of markers and print them on any printer (pdf file), or take a flyer that you received at the exhibition stand of the Russian Satellite Communication Company.
3. Ensure that the web-cam is connected to your PC.
4. Check the sound, since the application offers an audio track in two languages: Russian and English.
5. Bring one of the markers to the camera so that it is fully captured. You'll see one of the constellations of the Russian Satellite Communication Company project. To switch from Russian to English and vice versa use the additional «Ru/Eng» marker.
Markers control rules
1. Constellation of active satellites
This «living 3D marker» shows a visual 3D model of all active satellites of the Russian Satellite Communication Company.
After a short intro a user can chose one of 11 satellites by turning the marker in front of the camera. To zoom in any satellite and view its signal coverage area on Earth you should hold the marker on the selected satellite for 5 seconds.
After the satellite is zoomed in, use the same marker to move and rotate the 3D model in front of the camera.
For convenient navigation and marker control there is an additional window in the lower right corner of the screen where users can see the marker and the actions with the «living 3D marker».
To return to the interactive menu with the full constellation of active satellites you should cover the marker with your hand or remove it from the camera for 2 seconds. After that you can continue working with the constellation.
To switch from Russian to English and vice versa just bring the additional «Ru/Eng» marker to the camera for 1 second and then take it back.
2. Constellation of upcoming satellites
On this «living 3D marker» you can see the full constellation of both active and upcoming satellites of the Russian Satellite Communication Company.
This marker is controlled in a similar way. However, here you can choose and zoom in only the upcoming satellites, while all the satellites of the active constellation remain inactive.
For convenient navigation and marker control there is also an additional window in the lower rightcorner of the screen where users can see the marker and the actions in front of the camera.
If you experience problems installing or viewing our «living 3D marker» on your PC please send us an e-mail with a brief description of the problem at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will help you for sure!
Back to the list of demo